FOR ALL FACULTY
Starts 12:01am, December 18, 2021
(if no settlement or no agreement on extension of existing terms and conditions before then)
- The imposition of terms and conditions prevents the possibility of good labour relations, eliminates faculty consent, and is itself a form of labour disruption.
- It is a choice by the colleges and the CEC to abandon negotiations and to force faculty to work only under the conditions the colleges and CEC want.
- All actions below specifically target administrators, not students.
- Focus on needs of students and supporting their learning
- Maintain contact with students and keep them informed
- Maintain contact with Local and attend union activities and meetings
- Follow explicit written direction from your manager (and talk to your Local about how to file a grievance if necessary).
All faculty Professors, Instructors, Counsellors, Librarians, FT and PL (starting on December 18)
- Many Colleges are in the process of changing their instructional delivery plans in January, as a result of COVID. If your college has made changes to your workload or your instructional delivery mode since you received your SWF:
- Request a meeting with your supervisor regarding any changes to workload and or delivery modes since you received your Winter SWF and ask for additional attributed hours for preparation, to reflect the additional time that you will need to spend preparing as a result of these changes.
- At that meeting, request a written response from your supervisor within 48 hours.
- Follow that meeting up with an e-mailed summary of your meeting and repeat the request for written reply
- If you receive no reply in 48 hours (or if you receive an unsatisfactory reply at any time, including verbally), immediately refer your workload to the Workload Monitoring Group. Contact your union Local for any questions.
- Start recording all of the time you spend on the different parts of your work, such as evaluation, preparation, meetings, student email, etc. We recommend using Toggl, a free and easy to use app that you can use from your computer or phone.
- Change the signature line on your college and personal email to read:
“The College Employer Council and college management have chosen to impose terms and conditions of work on college faculty, rather than agreeing to extend existing terms while the faculty and employer bargaining teams negotiate a Collective Agreement. College faculty have begun a work-to-rule campaign, in protest. For more information, click here [insert collegefaculty.org or local website link].”
- Share the Following Sample Message on your LMS and social media:
|The College Employer Council and college management have chosen to impose terms and conditions of work on college faculty, rather than agreeing to extend existing terms while the faculty and employer bargaining teams negotiate a Collective Agreement. College faculty have begun a work-to-rule campaign in protest. For more information, click here [insert collegefaculty.org or local website link]. College faculty are fighting for the following, for students and the college system. The Colleges are refusing: More time for student evaluationPreparation time for online learningPartial-load job security and seniority improvementsNo contracting out of counsellor and other faculty workFaculty consent prior to the sale or reuse of faculty course materialsJointly-led committees and round tables able to implement changes around workload, equity, and Indigenization, decolonization, and Truth and Reconciliation If you would like to send a letter expressing your concerns to the President of the College and the CEO of the College Employer Council, there is a link to a sample letter at collegefaculty.org.
- Sign the click-to-email letter at collegefaculty.org and distribute it to students via non-college email. Share it with friends, family, colleagues, other organizations you belong to, and ask for their support.
- Download and use the “Bargaining for Better” Zoom background for all online meetings with college administrators and students.
- Upload as little as possible for the upcoming semester on college LMS platforms.
- Do no work over the scheduled holiday period.
- For Partial-Load faculty, we recommend that you avoid doing any work during any day when you are not under contract.